WHAT DOES SIMPLIFY, EXAGGERATE AND BLOCK TONE…

Discussion in 'Arts' started by Infadbalf, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Infadbalf

Infadbalf New Member

WHAT DOES SIMPLIFY, EXAGGERATE AND BLOCK TONE MEAN IN THE PAINTING ART?

2. Sydoline

Sydoline New Member

When you simplify it means like I want you to look up this painting by Mitchell albala its called "discovery sunset" now once you've looked at that then go back to this, the picture shows simplification in action. Complex forms loaded with surface detail like the trees and grasses are not picked over with a small brush; instead they are reduced to their fundamental shapes and planes. When you exaggerate, okay I want you to look at this painting by Michelangelo Buonarroti its called "doni holy family" once you've looked at it then come back to this again, Michelangelo mixes his colors with both black and white to maximize the contrast range for all the colors he uses. This means the lighter parts of each color (even the black of Joseph’s tunic) are almost white and unrealistically de-saturated. The only color that has a high enough luminance in pure form is the yellow of Joseph’s cloak; Michelangelo does not have to de-saturate the yellow to get a high value. Therefore, the yellow robe has a different quality from all the others, the hues of which vary substantially in saturation and therefore look somewhat metallic. By using such a wide range of luminances, Michelangelo achieves vivid depth from shading. Still, both contemporaries and present day critics were surprised by his use of color. When you block tone, look up a painting by Patrick Skoff I'm not sure what its called but its a 3 foot painting of Obama and its block tone painting you'll get what I mean hope it helped.